Saturday, March 19, 2016

Enjoying Naxos beaches



Of all the Cyclades, it is Naxos i love the most. There is always something to see, always something to do. My first visit was in the summer of 2012, while i was island hopping between Paros, Antiparos, Naxos and Amorgos. It was a fantastic experience because, although i only had 10 days available, i got to visit all of them and get a pretty good idea of their main features. Or so i thought.

After some small talk with other tourists in each of my travel destinations, i realised that the 2 days i was spending on Naxos were not even nearly enough for me to enjoy its pleasures. So, next year, i planned a full 15 day holiday, staying on Naxos for 10 whole days. I would choose a different beach to swim every day, i would also visit a different village every day (except for Apeiranthos that i had to see 2 more times). It was more like an exploration rather than a holiday. All the taverns in Naxos Town and the villages of Naxos, all the coffee shops, all these cute souvenir shops, the walkways of the capital and its castle ...

 

The end result ...

I made sure that i visited one or two beaches per day. And i say two because sometimes i would swim twice, during the day and in the afternoon (when it was not windy). On my first day it was Saint George beach of Naxos Town. What a lively beach it was! It gathers all types of tourists and of all ages. I really enjoyed its shallow waters, they make it so easy if all you want is to relax. The scenery is fantastic. It was so easy to access Stelida beach from there that i went on foot. A great walk and an even greater exercise. During my next days i explored Agios Prokopios beach (oh this sand and the colour of the water, i loved it), Agia Anna, Plaka beach, Mikri Vigla, Alyko and Agiassos. Then i decided it was time to explore the eastern shores of the island. It was Psili Ammos that really captivated my heart. It was a combination of a truly fantastic sandy beach,  with a dense cedar tree forest, shallow waters and, the most important, it was remote. I had been warned of this and i was well prepared. I had taken with me plenty of water and some snacks. In the evening i went to Moutsouna for dinner. I will never forget the taste of the fresh fish and the view of the beach and the sea from my small dinner table.

Needless to say that all the above were made possible in such a short time and with such flexibility because of the car i had hired. I wouldn't have been able to see half of it otherwise. What i took back with me is a huge satisfaction and about 1600 photos and videos to share with my friends. If you think they are far too many, then you are totally wrong. I wish i had taken some more.

My plans for the future

What is important is that i now know that there is still so much to see and enjoy. And these photos really did their job. After three whole years, we are coming back to Naxos. And i said we, because 2 of my friends are joining me for a 2016 Naxos Adventure.  

Naxians, beware, we are coming back ...

No comments:

Post a Comment